Why Your Audience Doesn’t Read What You Write And What You Can Do About It – Niche Market – part 5vi – notes on writing a post
This post will take you about 2 minutes to read. Will you make it until the end?
In a text longer than 100 words, people tend to read only 20 % of it. This text is 298 words long, so you’ll probably just scan through it, looking for keywords and highlighted phrases.
When you write you want people to read every word of it. But that’s not the reality. People read less than you think.
5 things you should know about how little people actually read
To reach as many people in your target group as possible and be able to improve your communication, there are some things you should know about how much of your article people are likely to read. Or rather, how little they actually read.
- Most people will only read the headline and the first lines of an article.
- People tend to scan rather than read online.
- People stop reading if the article contains words they do not understand.
- Web users at most have the time to read little more than 20% of the words on a webpage during an average visit.
- Most employees spend less than a minute to read the company newsletter or an article on the intranet.
Based on the knowledge of these facts, there are a few easy things you can do to improve your communication and increase the understanding and reading of your message.
- Write clear and informative headlines which draw interest to the rest of the article.
- Put the most important information first.
- Use a clear and simple language that anyone can understand.
- Keep it short.
- Highlight keywords and phrases so they are easy to find when scanning the article.
This article was 298 words long. Did you make it until the end?
FOR REFERENCE I THOUGHT THESE SEPARATE NOTES MIGHT BE HELPFUL!
In Part 5 (vii) we consider:- Utilize Your Website as a Marketing Tool
Source of reference Jacob Nielsen’s studies via www.nngroup.com for which many thanks.
You are welcome to read my earlier posts – please refer to the left hand sidebar.
Do you like this post? Please Comment, and “Like” and Share it and Pin It!
P.S If you enjoyed this post, please make sure you subscribe to my RSSFeed and click my Facebook and Twitter buttons on the top left hand side.
ABOUT ME – please click HERE > http://john-barton.com
PureleverageVIP – for details click: http://www.pureleverage.com/prelaunch/internal.php?id=johnbarton007